A clean sink

I quite enjoy washing up. I’m rubbish at other housework, though. Virtually everything in my office, apart from my keyboard and mouse, is dusty; the floor has Billy-hair-tumbleweed in all the corners; and the windows have antique dirt on them. Washing up though is good. There’s that fairly instant gratification involved. Sink is a mess – wash wash scrub scrub wipe wipe: sink now clean! But there’s one thing that I can’t get to grips with: getting rid of the washing-up bubbles. Is there a more efficient way of doing it than this? (Quicktime .mov, 1.4MB) All that extra water to flush away the bubbles. I don’t ever remember seeing my mum do it like that. When she did it, the bubbles miraculously disappeared with a quick splash of water, not the bucket’s-worth I have to use. Anyone get any tips?

June 22nd, 2005 at 10:48 am

13 Responses to 'A clean sink'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'A clean sink'.

1. I’ve got a couple of pretty useless suggestions:

1. Use less washing up liquid.

2. Leave the bubbles alone (admittedly this might leave a repulsive scum in your sink).

Sorry Craig, that’s all I’ve got.

Ailsab

22 Jun 05 at 1:41 pm

2. the drain is blocked.
    that’s your problem.
    if it would flush quicker you wouldn’t need that much water.

your housewife

22 Jun 05 at 4:19 pm

3. Hm. Too much soap and a slow drain sound about right…but also make sure you use cold water on the leftover bubbles. It must do something to the surface tension of the bubbles. Love, Heloise (I guess that’s a US joke of sorts)

Heather

22 Jun 05 at 5:03 pm

4. Dear Craig,

I fear you have too much time on your hands. Shouldn’t you be drawing Minipops (Paris Hilton?) or something?

Anon

22 Jun 05 at 5:30 pm

5. You’ll want to use something called, “Antifoam”. It’s used in hot tubs to instantly dissolve bubbles and prevent overflow. One drop will instantly kill all those bubbles. It’s pretty neat to watch. Any place that sells pools or pool supplies should have it. It’s not what your Mom did, but it works like a charm.

Thoroughly Amused

22 Jun 05 at 6:10 pm

6. Ailsab – Yes, I’m probably a butter fingers when I squeeze the bottle, I probably do use too much.
    Anon 4.19pm – Thanks. That’s quite likely true.
    Heather – Aaah, I WAS using hot water to flush the bubbles away…
    Anon 5.30pm – Yeh, that’s likely true too. I do a great impression of Paris Hilton, btw. If you ignore that I’m not a stick-thin beautiful woman, anyway.
    Amused – Ooh is that American, or can us Europeans get this miracle in our shops?

22 Jun 05 at 7:04 pm

7. Get a maid. It’s by far the most efficient way of getting the dishes done, plus she’d do the rest as well.

Andrés Ingi

22 Jun 05 at 7:30 pm

8. A miracle can be bought in the UK, apparently. I’ve just seen an ad for Fairy Active Foam which you apply directly onto your sponge and it seems to not make loads of bubbles.

Alternatively common or garden soap. Just dunk it in the water as you are about to drain the sink and the bubbles will be attracted to it and promptly disappear.Also works with bubble bath.

G

22 Jun 05 at 7:32 pm

9. Man, I am so glad I’m not the only person in the world who worries about this.

Soap dunking. I’mma try that.

22 Jun 05 at 8:38 pm

10. You should be able to buy antifoam in Europe as well as in America.

11. Andres – Mmmm, I like that idea.
    G – I should’ve remembered that from my bubble bath days as a kid.
    Paul – When you can’t worry about the Big Stuff, you gotta worry about the little things.
    Amused – Thank you.

23 Jun 05 at 11:07 am

12. um. i use cold water.

Bushra

23 Jun 05 at 11:33 am

13. Forget antifoam – sprinkle talcum powder all over them, then a quick dash of water gets rid of any residue. How do I know this? no idea. But trust me, it works!

lonely_orange