Grumpy old man at 2 o’clock

It was the longest day, so I guess now it’s the shortest night – or maybe that was last night, or maybe they’re both the same.

And I can’t sleep. It’s a hot sticky night in Berlin, and there’s a bar just along the street with loads of noisy young folk outside. So I got up again to read a bit, and of course, got dragged into ‘just checking my mail.’ Now I’m here. At just gone 2 o’clock. I like the word o’clock. It’s so not-of-2005. Nobody would invent that sort of word now, would they?

Anyway, I’m going back to my book, so I’ll leave you with a photo of my street at 2 o’clock on (possibly) the shortest night. (I’m reading A Million Little Pieces by James Frey, by the way. I bought it last October in London when I was with Mark and he picked it up and said, “this looks good.” I was hunting for an extra book to fall into the store’s 5-for-4 marketing trap anyway, so I bought it. Just a couple of weeks ago Mark said “I’ve just read that James Frey book, it’s great.” So I got it off the shelf and got stuck in. If Mark tells me to stick my hand in the fire… well, I’m buggered.)

June 22nd, 2005 at 2:02 am

6 Responses to 'Grumpy old man at 2 o’clock'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Grumpy old man at 2 o’clock'.

1. “A Million Little Pieces” is a fantastic read, I heartily recommend it. Read “Dry” by Augustin Burroughs after it and you’ll question ever drinking again.

hitch

22 Jun 05 at 5:34 pm

2. I’m enjoying it so far, about halfway through. Thanks for the tip, although I doubt I need to read any more perils of alcohol/drug abuse after A Million Little Pieces…

22 Jun 05 at 7:07 pm

3. Heartily endorse Hitch’s recommendation above. Dry is actually a very different read – less Hemingway, more sardonic. But I loved Million Little Pieces and truly could not put it down. Do not – under any circumstances – check out the back few pages which is a kind of where-are-they-now update. It will absolutely ruin it for you.

Ian Mac

23 Jun 05 at 4:14 pm

4. Ian, I already glanced at the back pages and saw what was happening, but I did it so early in the book that I didn’t know the character names, so it made no sense for the 2 seconds I looked at it.

24 Jun 05 at 10:48 am

5. I found that soo depressing that I put it down after about a hundred pages.

24 Jun 05 at 1:35 pm

6. Actually, I did that, but it was after about 15 pages. I left it for a few months then decided to give it another go.

24 Jun 05 at 6:44 pm