La la la

Ever since I drew the Dilly Dally Hut, I’ve become King Procrastinator. It’s not like I even make an effort to not do what I’m supposed to be doing. Today, I haven’t even opened Photoshop yet. It doesn’t help that I’m over-sleeping a heck of a lot at the moment. I woke up a few minutes before noon today, when Billy put his whole weight on my chest and started licking my face. This is his way of saying, “I need a wee, daddy!”
But since then, I’ve managed to do everything except work. I’ve read lots of websites, I’ve played Snood, I’ve played some of the Yetisports games, I’ve watched an episode of Miami Vice, I’ve walked to the coffee shop twice, and I’ve been to the shops to buy CDs.
I’ve done all of this without even recognising that I’m procrastinating.
Even though I have now acknowledged this, I’m still doing it by typing these words.
I need help with this. Procrastination is taking over my life like it used to in the summer holidays when I was at art college. Except now, I’ve got stuff to do rather than nothing at all to do. Every day I sit here and plan to “really get going” on that project, ‘cept I don’t.
I’m even thinking about something else now. I’m procrastinating on my procrastination. And, you know what, if I do just go and lie down and read for a bit, I’ll probably end up putting the book down and closing my eyes.
Sometimes being a dog sounds tempting. None of this worry about doing nothing; just doing it and enjoying it.

September 6th, 2005 at 6:53 pm

13 Responses to 'La la la'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'La la la'.

1. I saw a couple of your commercials yesterday. Nice work :)

Sarah

6 Sep 05 at 7:55 pm

2. my procrastination got so bad i ended up getting a job in a record shop just to get out of the cycle. it’s the most depressing things this side of finding your dad sleeping with your girlfriend. i don’t think freelance suits me, it seems ike i’ve always got homework and i don’t do anything good instead of doing it, i just sit around no working.

James William Kendall Formerly Of Lincoln City

6 Sep 05 at 8:08 pm

3. AAAAAAAA PROCRASTINATION !!!!!!
    Get “The procrastinator’s handbook” by Rita Emmett…she gives that smart advice ” Oh! you keep postponing making those fruit jams for ages?…then why not gather with your friends and make them, singing all along” (that sentence is after an approximate translation).
    I closed the book and returned to my own method : make lists and in each topic i make smaller lists until the day is over….and i think “I’ll definitely do it tomorrow” ;-)

Lily

6 Sep 05 at 8:18 pm

4. This is too true. Have you seen that pad you can buy called ‘The Procrastinator’, not that you need it. I am an A1 star at procrastination. I’ve come up with five new business ideas so far, looked at a lot of websites, read a lot of magazines, and I just hope my boss doesn’t read this! Why oh why can’t I just do my work? Usually when I finally sit down to do it it doesn’t take too long, or I actually like doing it, so why do I put it off?

Tori

6 Sep 05 at 11:11 pm

5. Lists are very good too. And tidying your desk.

Tori

6 Sep 05 at 11:14 pm

6. I clean like there’s no tomorrow when I procrastinate.

pick, pick pick

lisa

7 Sep 05 at 12:17 am

7. Woodhall looks an awful lot like George Lucas

8. Well you can’t procrastinate that much considering the huge amount of creative work you’ve done so far.
    Every soul needs a rest from time to time. And it’s one of the last sunny summer days today. Take a walk in the park instead of worrying :)

fishy_

7 Sep 05 at 12:58 pm

9. I use you site as a procrastination tool all the time…

CoCo

7 Sep 05 at 4:38 pm

10. Well, I’m currently procrastinating going to bed, which is never a good thing to do. I’m tired, but so tired I just can’t seem to move from the computer…

lonely_orange

7 Sep 05 at 11:24 pm

11. I agree with Fishy. What you described sounds like your body and brain wanting to just chill out. I say let it. Then, when you get back to work, you’ll be much stronger. You don’t have to put off work entirely. Do this: do one little thing toward getting work done a day. On monday, for example, open Photoshop. Just open it. Then on Tuesday, open the file you’re supposed to work on. Wednesday, sit looking at the file, scritching ideas, you get the picture. At some point along that journey, you’ll find yourself back working. That’s what I do when I procrastinate working at the piano. Try it!

Michael Johnson

8 Sep 05 at 5:31 am

12. It’s not procrastination – it’s research!

As creative people we need to get inspiration. We’re not just robots who can churn out one brilliant idea after another. We need stimuli and if we have to get it from Miami Vice or playing addictive games or from tidying the sock drawer (my favourite from Uni days) then so be it. It’s still time spent relaxing the brain, gearing up for the next round of brilliant ideas!

Well – that’s my excuse anyway!

13. But Craig, honestly, how many days has it been since you were promoting your stuff? You’ve been on the road for a while now, so just relax. Enjoy the grapes. Take it cool. Chill out. Save your sweat for just a short while. Think back, smile, appreciate your accomplishments. I think that is what you’re doing without knowing it. Body and mind resist the work and tries to tell you to just – relax for a while.

Elisabeth

Don’t worry – be happy! Hehe…

12 Sep 05 at 8:16 am