On this day…

(Most of) the info from Wikipedia.
In 1692, the last person was hanged in the US for witchcraft.
In 1949, the Soviet Union detonates its first nuclear weapon.
In 1955, ITV goes on air.
In 1980, Iraq invades Iran.
And celebrating their birthdays today: Nick Cave, Joan Jett, Chesney Hawkes, Ronaldo, Harry bloody Kewell, cutie Billie Piper.
And me.
I’m halfway to seventy.
And still making a stupid face (for my own comedic benefit) when I break wind.

September 22nd, 2005 at 12:24 pm

43 Responses to 'On this day…'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'On this day…'.

1. Happy Birthday Craig!

Anna

22 Sep 05 at 12:30 pm

2. Happy Birthday!

Marc

22 Sep 05 at 1:08 pm

3. Happy Birthday, may your year be a good one.

Imagine sharing your birthday with Chesney Hawkes!

Can you imagine what a party all you birthday people would have together. Nick, Billy, Joan and Chesney could all sing a little ditty (although quite what they would sing…) and Ronaldo and Harry could play keepy uppies!

CoCo

22 Sep 05 at 1:26 pm

4. Happy Birthday Craig!

do you feel an odd connection to Chesney et al? I have the same birthday, and date, as Orlando Bloom, and so somehow I’ve taken an especial interest in his career, silly ‘eh?

Cat

22 Sep 05 at 1:37 pm

5. Danke schoen all.

CoCo: I think Harry would injure himself trying to play keepy-up. Oooh, me groin hurts…
    But it’d be nice to have the sing song.

Cat: I don’t really. But if a famous person comes up in my dream, I tend to feel a bit closer to them, oddly.

22 Sep 05 at 1:46 pm

6. Have you planned anything special to celebrate?

Anna

22 Sep 05 at 1:57 pm

7. Billy will get a special long walk, I’ll go to the cinema, having a night off from the horror DVDs (Child’s Play and Hellraiser last night), and then home to watch the Yankees game. I’ll try and squeeze in some cake, too.

22 Sep 05 at 2:05 pm

8. Cake is good! :)

HG!

Marius

22 Sep 05 at 2:15 pm

9. craig craig craig..what happened to having faith in Harry Kewell..i’m sure we’ll see the best of him this season (yes i’ve said that for about 2 years now)

22 Sep 05 at 2:45 pm

10. hello! it’s rachel, but i suppose which one it is doesn’t matter much. anyhoo maybe try to think of it as half way away from 70 instead of half way until? but you seem perhaps to already be doing that. in other news, did you make the advertisement for the zuender netzmagazin that is on diezeit.de? it sure appears that you did! i could probably find this out by sluething your site but eh. anyway, it is nice and i was happy to see it as i tried to make some kind of sense of this election thing going on.

weeztastic

22 Sep 05 at 3:05 pm

11. Happy bday Craig! Have a good one!

Kitty

22 Sep 05 at 4:05 pm

12. Happy birthday. Wow, you share a birthday with Nick Cave and Joan Jet! (note just one). I’m stuck with Leonardo Dicaprio and Demi Moore.

The witchcraft thing is pretty cool too, well in a morbid, messed up puritanical-thinking sort of way.

I hope you have cake and see something good at the cinema.

best wishes.

b

22 Sep 05 at 4:55 pm

13. wow i have the same birthday as River Phoenix, Gene Kelly and Keith Moon! thats well cool. i wish i’d known that when i was at school.

Bryony

22 Sep 05 at 5:08 pm

14. Craig happy 35th birthday!! Looks like the Yankees gave you a little present last night and knocked the Red Sox out of 1st place. Tonight should be a good game.

Thoroughly Amused

22 Sep 05 at 5:29 pm

15. Fihu: Thank you. It is.
    Anon: Thank you. Pfff, I stuck up for him for ages, but really, sod him.
    Weez: Thank you. Hello Rachel. Nope I didn’t do it, but, I’ll be taking care of business. *cracks knuckles*
    Kitty: Thank you.
    Becki: Thank you. Perhaps they could reintroduce the witchcraft thing and invent a law that every time Rumsfeld opens his mouth it is considered witchcraft. I mean, if you look at it sideways, it is, really.
    Bryony: Thank you. Gene Kelly! That’s fab!
    TA: Thank you. Oh yes, that was a good present to wake up to.

22 Sep 05 at 6:03 pm

16. That is a wonderful idea…perfect way to take out the whole admin.

Oh, and I checked out Wikipedia for my birthday, which is the coolest of birthdays: 11/11/77. Well it would be a bit cooler if I was really old and it was 11/11/11. But I can’t complain as Ned Kelly was hung on my birthday! And, Dostoyevsky was born the same day…which leads to an interesting side note. I have a friend who grew up in the Russian town of Omsk. This was one of the “closed cities” of the Soviet Union, and also happened to be the place Dostoyevsky was exiled to. She remembers passing his house all the time. Also, one of their assignments in elementary school was to write letters to Ronald Reagan asking him to please not bomb them.

Sorry for the digression.

b

22 Sep 05 at 6:20 pm

17. oh no you have an imposter! the shame that must be brought to them is great.

weeztastic

22 Sep 05 at 6:41 pm

18. It will be brought… it… will… be… brought… [insert evil laugh here]

22 Sep 05 at 6:44 pm

19. you’re going to regret those words one day and wake up from nightmares of a laughing harry kewell pointing at you..just like gerard houllier wakes up every night with the images of bruno cheyrou and el hadji diouf in his head :P

22 Sep 05 at 7:35 pm

20. Happy Birthday Craig!
    Many happy returns!

Thanks for making me calculate that I am halfway to 74…
    But the “looking your bithday up in wikipedia” bit was fun – signing of the first french constitution – first performance of the canadian national anthem (?) – and “birthday sharing” with jeff beck and claude chabrol – but also german terrorist brigitte mohnhaupt – never knew all that…
    Thanks Craig! Have a nice evening!

Cheers

Alex

22 Sep 05 at 7:47 pm

21. Ha ha! I’m not even 25 yet! Wooo!

Ahem. Happy birthday, is perhaps what I meant.

22 Sep 05 at 8:58 pm

22. Anon: I’d love Kewell to be fantastic for LFC, but, sadly, I don’t see it happening.
    Alex: Thank you.
    Paul: No need to ha! ha!, I don’t really care that I’m old(er). I’m quite glad that I managed to grow up without computer games and 24 hour Sky TV being such a big dominant thing… Ooooh, when I were a lad it were all hula hoops etc.

22 Sep 05 at 10:16 pm

23. C’mon Craig – hula hoops – I wish -we only had wooden sticks to poke around (and that was only two years before your time – amazing)!

Cheers

Alex

22 Sep 05 at 10:34 pm

24. Cuz he’s a jolly good fellooooooow – and so say all of us!!! Happy birthday, old man! Did you know your numerological number for this year is 2? If you want to know what fate has in store for you I can tell you, but otherwise we can just leave it at that.

So my birtday mate is Dave McKean! My favourite artist in the Sandman chronicles, yey. I knew there was something special with that guy. All the time it was him being born on dec 29.

May your spirits guide you this day, Craig, and good night from Stockholm. ;)

Elisabeth

22 Sep 05 at 11:30 pm

25. Birtday? That sounded German. Should have been birthhhhhday. My tired brain is closing down as is my spelling…

Elisabeth

22 Sep 05 at 11:32 pm

26. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR CRAAAAAAAAAAIG
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU

Hope you’ve had a lovely day, sorry for the late happy returns.

I’ve still got a hula hoop. And a skipping rope.

Any I share my birthday with Roy Keane, Antonio Banderas, Rosanna Arquette and a whole load of other people I’ve never heard of. Ooh, and on my birthday in 1948 Candid Camera made its television debut after being on radio for a year as Candid Microphone. WOW!

27. Happy Birthday Craig! It’s been quite a year! Minipops and all!

Weeeee!

Nothing but the best!
    P.S. And I do miss Looney Toons on the telly! I love their stuff…

lisa

23 Sep 05 at 2:30 am

28. P.P.S. I share my birthday with Harry Houdini, Alyson Hannigan, and Tommy Hilfiger! Wowee!

I do love Wikipedia!

lisa

23 Sep 05 at 2:32 am

29. Uh oh. Grandad’s talking about what things were like in the “old days”. Quick, slip him a Werther’s Original and let’s go play Grand Theft Auto.

23 Sep 05 at 12:02 pm

30. You’re nearly twice my age. I need to get older (thankfully this’ll happen without much input from me).

Happy Birthday.

ed

23 Sep 05 at 2:10 pm

31. You know the ’14 hundred and 92′ rhyme? It’s shit. All it helps you to remember is that Columbus sailed the ocean blue in a year ending in ’2′. I had to look it up on wikipedia just to post this, because I thought it was weird that the last witch was hanged in America the year it was discovered.

And well done for saying ‘hanged’, not ‘hung’, which is what you do with picture frames.

And last and definitely least, happy birthday

(I was joking about the least bit)

dave

23 Sep 05 at 2:24 pm

32. Happy Birthday Craig!!
    Have a fab one!

23 Sep 05 at 3:02 pm

33. happy birthday for yesterday! hope you had a good one :) you mentioned loving the new kanye west album the other day – he did a live set for radio one which is on their site, a litle happy birthday link :)

loulou apples

23 Sep 05 at 5:10 pm

34. Happy Birthday from Hungary, Craig!
    Suzy

Suzy

23 Sep 05 at 5:52 pm

35. Happy Birthday from Hungary, Craig!
    Suzy

Suzy

23 Sep 05 at 5:52 pm

36. Well! Happy birthday!

Simon Who Went Swimming And Who Likes Cherry Coke

23 Sep 05 at 6:05 pm

37. I know I’m a day late, but…many happy returns all the same, Craig!

Pluto was discovered and John Travolta was born on my birthday. Coincidence? I think not.

allison

23 Sep 05 at 6:35 pm

38. Happy bidet!

Also, what do you make of the new Nintendo controller?

Matt Sephton

23 Sep 05 at 8:33 pm

39. From the sunny town of Maastricht,
    Frans wishes you “‘ne gooie verjaordaag, un gooij leefste en un gooij gezoondheid!”

What did you wish for blowing out candles this morning???

And was she wearing a silver or golden bikini?

frans theunisz

23 Sep 05 at 8:50 pm

40. Happy Birthday!!
    Hilary Duff and I will be turning 18 on Tuesday. You should come to our crunken party!

Katie

23 Sep 05 at 9:51 pm

41. Ok, a bit late but see above. Since Frans said his Happy Birthday in the interesting Dutch language, I’ll say the same in Swedish: Ha den äran på födelsedagen, Craig!

Elisabeth

23 Sep 05 at 10:07 pm

42. *hehe* i just got the greenday minipops ad on shockwave.com. nice work!

Marius