Cymru

I’ve just had a nice long weekend away. Away from computers, mobile phones, and all my other everyday crap. I went to Wales with four mates, staying in a cottage in the middle of nowhere. All very lovely. Anyone who remembers my previous problems with driving a car may be surprised to know that I drove all the way from central London to the Welsh coast without any problems at all. It was good to do it, too. Every possible road condition encountered: the stop start jams of London, motorways, A roads, thru’ small towns, along winding thin country roads, all the way down to crossing a cattle grid and going up a mud track to the cottage itself.

Mainly, we were there to hang out with each other. These are mates that live in England so I don’t see them as often as I’d like to. So we did the required amount of drinking, giggling, eating Jaffa Cakes, and playing Scrabble. We played Headers and Volleys on a cliff near the sea, we went to a slate mine, and we spent a day in Portmeirion.

For those of you who’ve never been to, or heard of, Portmeirion, it’s a village built from scratch by this old posh fella. It’s nicely eccentric and probably most famous as the setting for the sixties TV show, The Prisoner. Well worth a visit if you happen to be out that way.

Anyway, one more day in London, then I’ll be properly back to the world of computers, drawing stuff, blogging, replying to emails, deleting spam, and generally wishing I was back in Wales.

November 23rd, 2005 at 12:19 pm

11 Responses to 'Cymru'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Cymru'.

1. We welcome you back!

Elisabeth

23 Nov 05 at 12:56 pm

2. Elisabeth

23 Nov 05 at 12:57 pm

3. sounds like fun

Dave

23 Nov 05 at 3:00 pm

4. Hey i went there! It is a cool place. I bought a see through sticker which says ‘you have just been poisoned’, which you stick to the bottom of someone’s glass, prisoner style.

I hope you didn’t get too freezing there though!

the brain

23 Nov 05 at 4:17 pm

5. enjoy wales craig!!! take your time

frans theunisz

23 Nov 05 at 7:17 pm

6. Wow, I live right near there! Glad you had a nice time, much as I get sick of living here, Wales ain’t a bad place for a short holiday.

lonely_orange

23 Nov 05 at 8:34 pm

7. That looks wonderful. Do you think it’s worth a one week stay? I am still looking for a place to go in spring. This year I went to Jersey and for next year I had plans for Cornwall but maybe…

24 Nov 05 at 4:05 pm

8. Wow…I’ve haven’t been to Wales yet but I will try to before I leave UK!

So, you are just staying in London for just another day…Shame, I missed you to go for a cup of hot chocolate! Maybe next time, who knows!

Laura

24 Nov 05 at 5:13 pm

9. Lonely Orange – I can appreciate that, I feel the same about Lincoln.

Anon – Yes, it’s worth going for a week. If you’ve got a car, there seems to be loads of stuff to do in that area.

25 Nov 05 at 1:55 pm

10. Thanks, Craig. Do you think I will be able to drive on the other side of the road? That is what I am a little afraid of. Jersey was perfect in that way – everything manageable by foot or bus.

25 Nov 05 at 3:01 pm

11. Well, I was worried about that. Obviously, I lived most of my life in the UK, so I’m used to being on the left, but every time I go back these days, I find it more and more difficult to adjust to not being on the right. Thankfully, starting my journey in central London and on motorways was a nice way to get used to being on the left.

26 Nov 05 at 6:14 pm