My confession

I have a confession to make to you, dear reader. After laying into Coldplay’s X&Y; album back in June, I’ve slowly come to realise that I really really like it. I still stand by what I wrote, but the grrr in my words has left me.
I left it alone for a while, then listened to it again a month or so later. Then again. And again. Each time was like a sneaky fag hanging out of the bedroom window so your Mum doesn’t know you’re smoking (actually, she knew all the time). But now I feel I can come out as an X&Y-liker.; The lyrics still suck beyond belief, I’m still a bit disappointed they didn’t try harder, but, thems some nice melodies.

While I’m here, I’ll also confess to a few other things.
Number one, my favourite song at the moment is Kelly Clarkson’s Since U Been Gone. I’m not sure how that happened, what with it being TV-bred Avril Lavigne Lite, but it did happen.
Number two, Cartoon Heroes by Aqua is a song I love.
And thirdly, probably the biggest crime of all, We All Stand Together by Paul McCartney and The Frog Chorus… it’s just lovely, it makes me melt.

November 4th, 2005 at 11:39 am

14 Responses to 'My confession'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'My confession'.

1. Man. “Avril Lavigne Light.” Like Diet Water or something :)

I really like “If You Were There” by Wham!

4 Nov 05 at 12:25 pm

2. Craig, I totally agree with the X&Y; thing, lovely melodies. But I have to say I slapped my hand to my head in despair when I first listened to ‘A Message’. Why, oh why would you open a track with the line ‘My song is love…’!? I haven’t listened to that song since.

I also agree with Kelly Clarkson thing too. In fact, I heard that on the radio whilst getting ready for my brothers wedding the other week and ended up singing it in my mind through the entire ceremony!

Anna

4 Nov 05 at 12:25 pm

3. haha me too!

to make it even worse, my Dad asked me why everyone likes them because they’re so dull!

Acqua – well, I always had a thing about the singer so that’s fine

Macca is a genius.

dave

4 Nov 05 at 12:55 pm

4. Alright Dave

Clarkson – Doesn’t hit the bttons for me i’m afraid. Jst seems a bit too ‘pshed’

Frog Chors – Everyone’s gilty pleasre

Aqa – Infant nonsense…but the singer would get it

Trigger

4 Nov 05 at 2:00 pm

5. wotcha trigger

I think there’s something wrong with your ‘u’ button, you should get that seen to…

dave

4 Nov 05 at 2:02 pm

6. thing about X&Y;, they’re all like nice intros to songs that never go anywhere..

nothing wrong with Wham

dave

4 Nov 05 at 2:06 pm

7. I really like Fix You – I even like the words!

The Frog Chorus was the first single I owned…

CoCo

4 Nov 05 at 2:57 pm

8. My gf broke up with me after I took her to a Status Quo concert. I thought I’d come out about that guilty pleasure. She didn’t see the funny side of it. Not exactly what 17yo girls are into. Still, I now realise i prefered the Quo over her, so it was probably all for the best.

I loathe since you’ve been gone. Only james Blunt gets more of my wrath.

ed

4 Nov 05 at 6:06 pm

9. Kelly Clarkson! eesh! You’ve been out of England too long. It awful stuff.

Where as, I think Macca was harshly done to, it was a ‘kids’ song for Gods sake. Pure and simple. I dont know why everyone hates it so much. Do they hate ‘baa baa blck sheep’ or ‘ how much is that doggy in the window’?

Lee Jenkins

4 Nov 05 at 9:29 pm

10. Craig, you need a quick slap to the face to get you out of that musical funk. I reccomend going back about 20 years to the greatest band that has walked the earth: X. Wild Gift, Los Angeles, Under the Big Black Sun, More Fun in the New World…

nick

4 Nov 05 at 11:54 pm

11. Hey Craig -
    This has absolutely nothing to do with Coldplay, but I finally saw that Dutch MTV ad again. It’s just for MTV, in Dutch, advertising MTV teletext. It’s got a little blond guy sitting on a couch, watching MTV I suppose, and a tiny Pink (and maybe others). They are complete rip-offs of MiniPops, there’s no other way to explain it. You may be able to tell that I’m getting very, very angry with MTV for you.

By the way, I really liked your short autumn film – I’ve been pretty blue lately, and it felt kind of cosy. Thanks for sharing it…

Julie

5 Nov 05 at 10:16 am

12. Indeed, nothing wrong with Wham! at all.
    Ed, you made the right choice: very few girls will give you as much pleasure as turning the volume up, standing on the bed and air guitaring (or sitting at your desk and air drumming) to Down Down.
    Lee, aaah, you put it so beautifully. Thank you. Nice website, by the way.

5 Nov 05 at 11:24 am

13. Julie, oh, I’ll have to try and see that somehow. Thanks for your anger!

5 Nov 05 at 11:25 am