The final Valley of the Cnuties

Another eighth and final episode of something today following yesterday’s last episode of Pete and Bob. Today, it’s the last episode of Valley of the Cnuties. It began last July with some little creatures setting off on a boat, heading for a new land and a new life. Since then we’ve seen dreams of a loved one, some house building, a reunion of loved ones, some babies born, kids rebelling against their parents’ dancing ways by standing still. We’ve seen a kidnapping, we’ve seen an escape, and the problems trauma like that can create. Now, we’ve reached the end of our story. Will there be a happy ending? Click here to find out.

I’ve received a few emails asking what the songs used in the Cnuties series were, so here’s a list.

Episode 1 featured a song called Pleasure Cruise by George Formby. He was big star in the UK from the thirties until his death in 1961. If you like this song, you’ll like most of his other music cos it’s similarly splendid.

The song in episode 2 is Dream by The Pied Pipers. I’ve not heard any of their other music, sadly, but this song is divine.

Summertime Blues by Eddie Cochran is in episode 3. It still amazes me that he was only 21 years old when he died, and how many great songs he’d already written by that point. I mean, most artists would find it difficult to write four genuine classics in their lifetime, but that Eddie did that (with the aforementioned song, Somethin’ Else, C’mon Everybody and Three Steps To Heaven) at such an early age amazes me. God only knows what he’d have been capable of had he lived longer.

Episode 4 features one of my favourite Beach Boys songs, We’re Together Again. For some reason this song didn’t make it onto their 1968 album Friends, and, I believe, only got officially released for the first time as an extra track on that album’s CD re-issue in 1990. How that happened to one of their most beautiful songs I’ll never know. It’s also on the wonderful compilation Classics selected by Brian Wilson, which should be your first port of call should you want a Beach Boys compilation, cos, as the title suggests, it was selected by the great man himself and focuses on his more sumptuous work rather than the surfin’ ‘n’ cars songs that most Beach Boys collections favour.

Episode 5 uses Die Roboter by Kraftwerk, episode 6 uses Michael Jackson’s Smooth Criminal, and episode 7 uses …Baby One More Time by Britney Spears and Tourette’s by Nirvana.

And the final episode that you’ve either just watched or are about to watch, uses a gorgeous song by Richard Hawley called You Don’t Miss Your Water (Till Your River Runs Dry) from his 2003 album Lowedges. He seems to have finally begun to get the praise he deserves with his latest album Coles Corner, but I’m not sure it’s as good as Lowedges or its predecessor Late Night Final.

So there you have it, Cnuties is over. It’s always feels weird when I finish something like that or Pete and Bob, something that has been present in my life for such a long time. It’s almost of feeling of numbness. I still expect some kind of joy or relief when I get to the end of something like this, but it never happens.

Anyway, that’s it from me on the creative front for a few weeks. This last month or so has been the most productive time (FFF-wise) I can remember. New stuff a couple of times every week. So I’m off to relax for a bit, clear my head, watch some live baseball, look at some art, see some friends, go to the cinema, and – because I’m intruiged after seeing the fantastic Harold & Kumar film – I’m gonna try some White Castle burgers for myself. Yes, I’m off to the United States. New York, New York and Chapel Hill, North Carolina to be precise. I have virtually no plan of action for my time there, I’m the poetic leaf in the wind; so if there’s anything you think I should see or do, let me know in the comments if you’d be so kind. Thank you.

April 3rd, 2006 at 1:19 pm

21 Responses to 'The final Valley of the Cnuties'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'The final Valley of the Cnuties'.

1. I heard about Richard Hawley after his production on the excellent A Girl Called Eddy album, who is essentially a female version of him.

Just got Coles Corner which is amazing, really. If his other stuff is better I’ll have to get it all.

Have you heard the stuff he and Jarvis produced recently for Nancy Sinatra?

Matt Sephton

3 Apr 06 at 1:57 pm

2. No! Noooo! What have you done?? You killed the cnutie, Craig! You actually killed him/her!

You know you could make a movie, don’t you? If I were you I’d seriously think of writing a script, since you have all you need to accomplish something great.
    Or, if you own the Cnuties you should definately have a chat with the people at any broadcasting station (preferably the BBC). I want you to go television, Craig!

But I can’t really take it that you killed the poor thing… Say it’s a Dallas-Bobby-cliff-hanger. Say it!

Elisabeth

3 Apr 06 at 1:59 pm

3. We in the U.S. are excited that you’re coming for a visit! It’s an excellent time to be on the east coast, weather-wise. While I can’t recommend anything specific in New York or North Carolina, there’s lots to do here in the Washington D.C. area. If you’re driving down, it’s definitely worth a stop.

After reading your “once there was pavement” entry, now I really want a coke. Evil marketing!

Kelly

3 Apr 06 at 3:24 pm

4. If you are in New York at that time, go and see the Mates Of State. They play a show on the 12th this month. If you don’t know them yet, you can listen to a couple of songs on their website I think. Maybe you like it.
    Have fun.

marc

3 Apr 06 at 4:54 pm

5. That was quite disturbing Craig…

I don’t know what to say.

3 Apr 06 at 6:10 pm

6. Argh! Man! There I was, safe in the knowledge of Craig’s usual pattern – heart-breaking sadness followed by a sudden happy ending – and he flip-reverses it on us!

Brutal.

3 Apr 06 at 7:26 pm

7. Ditto with b7b there. And the Harold & Kumar is hilarious, although I’m eager to find a White Castle here in Brooklyn…

…somewhere…

Lisa

3 Apr 06 at 8:03 pm

8. Craig

3 Apr 06 at 8:06 pm

9. As a regular blog reader Im not at all surprised by the sad end to the Cnuty kid. All the best creations seem to be inspired by our own moods.
    On a brighter note. Richard Hawley is great isnt he?
    Im on his forum and hes a regular on there. You should come over and join.

Wonderful series Craig and one, if not the, best youve ever done. The joy and the poignancy at its core makes for a remarkable acheivement.

Lee

3 Apr 06 at 9:16 pm

10. New York is my favourite place. Been there four times. I also drove from New York to Daytona in some Thelma & Louise fit of rage.

Eat here http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/balthazar01/index.html

Check out all the shops in the square of Broome St, Prince St, Wooster St, Spring St and Broadway.

Look at the trainers here
    http://www.alifenyc.com/ and look at this site http://www.b-boys.com/nychiphop.html

Go to Moma – http://www.moma.org/ It is mindblowing. Get there first thing though (and by that I mean 30 mins before it opens) as it is so busy.

Go on the Ferris Wheel in Toys R Us in Times Square. Cheesy but funny.

Go on a sightseeing bus downtown (don’t bother with uptown) and make sure you get a real noo yawker who has the gift of the gab. The tours are very funny, unlike our boring ones in London.

Emily

3 Apr 06 at 11:01 pm

11. That final Valley of the Cnuties episode made me cry at work, damnit! But I loved it anyway…

In New York, I really liked Veselka, 144 2nd Ave (by 9th St), for amazing Ukrainian food. And catch a Staten Island ferry at night,for mindblowing views.

4 Apr 06 at 1:53 am

12. Have a Happy Holiday!

13. First a depressing cnuties episode (how could you kill one of your lovely creatures – brilliant, but cruel) and then tell us that there won’t be any of your musings to get picked up again! Leaving us in the dumps, are you?!

Still: Happy Holiday!

Cheers

Alex

4 Apr 06 at 10:34 am

14. hmmmmmmmmmm… i was quite shocked :-(
    wanted to write some more, but lost for words…. :-((((((((((((((((((((((

tap

4 Apr 06 at 11:25 am

15. Err…it’s the froth of April tomorrow….

4 Apr 06 at 12:51 pm

16. I think it’s cool that your work has turned a corner and will now totally agree with Elizabeth that television makes a huge amount of sense as the next step: Elizabeth, I agree!

Derick

4 Apr 06 at 7:07 pm

17. Ok, Derick, who do we contact? Craig’s agent? Maybe a call from us Bloggers Anonymous? Hmmm… I think we’re on to something here.

:]

Elisabeth

5 Apr 06 at 3:07 pm

18. I would very much like to do stuff on telly. Specifically live action stuff. I’d quite like to see how my brain would work with real people involved, not just pixelly drawings.

5 Apr 06 at 3:10 pm

19. You could get your mate Missy Elliot to star in it. She’d be well up for it.

5 Apr 06 at 4:03 pm

20. A documentary with a theme maybe? A friend of mine is hilarious when it comes to short comments paired with at slight paranoia and a big ego, and we talked about making a film about him walking around town and see everything from inside his strange mind. We laughed ourselves crazy planning it, but nothing was made of it…

I would love to see the world from inside your head, Craig!

Elisabeth

6 Apr 06 at 9:17 am

21. george formby received a stalin prize in 1944 due to his films being tres popular in the soviet union. true story.

tom