Balls

I read something on The Guardian website last night about England goalkeeper Paul Robinson buying a bunch of Adidas Teamgeist balls some weeks ago so he had time to practice with the ball. It’s a new ball specifically for this World Cup. Made from just two pieces and is, apparently, lighter than a normal ball. Germany’s keeper Jens Lehmann also has reservations about the ball. This got me thinking.

If you visualise a football in your head, it probably looks like this:

Correct? My brain’s football looked like that, too. Then I checked Google Images (I checked soccer ball to bypass the other types of football). Fifteen of the first 20 images had that type of football.

Of all the ball sports, is there one that allows the manufacturer of the ball to mess about with the design as much as football does? A baseball always looks the same. A cricket ball, too. Golf, tennis, squash, table tennis; and as far as I know, basketballs and American footballs always have the same design.

It really saddens me that a game I love is being bastardised to this point where professional goalkeepers have to worry about whether they can catch a ball or not simply because of the manufacturer’s desire for some fancy ball which, ultimately, advertises their brand.

Sorry, football-haters and ambivalent-ers, there’s probably more football-based stuff to come in the next few weeks.

But for those of you that like football, and particularly the English amongst you, and even more particularly the Liverpool fans amongst you: here’s a mini Peter Crouch.

June 8th, 2006 at 12:49 pm

6 Responses to 'Balls'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Balls'.

1. haha..he’s lovely.
    i can’t belive it’s already been 2 years since the mini-Euro-2004-pops

jenni

8 Jun 06 at 1:41 pm

2. It seems your worries are increasingly directed to large companies hijacking your world – it’s sad, but in a way we are the generation that made it all possible (…he wrote wearing Adidas sneakers – and I’ assume you’ve been in your Superstars) – the same as with the coke trouble yesterday (although my conscience is clear in that respect – I hate big company soft drinks). Mabye there is a bigger piece about corporate evil in you – I assume that may be very interesting given your style.

And don’t you worry it’s rather nice to follow someone being passionate about something (nowadays, where everyone is notoriously post-everything).

It’s true – not long ago the Euro04 Pops – are we going to see more of this sort this time? Please!
    Alex

8 Jun 06 at 6:06 pm

3. It seems your worries are increasingly directed to large companies hijacking your world – it’s sad, but in a way we are the generation that made it all possible (…he wrote wearing Adidas sneakers – and I’ assume you’ve been in your Superstars) – the same as with the coke trouble yesterday (although my conscience is clear in that respect – I hate big company soft drinks). Mabye there is a bigger piece about corporate evil in you – I assume that may be very interesting given your style.

Alex

8 Jun 06 at 6:06 pm

4. I think there’s probably some self-loathing going on too, what with me occasionally doing work for companies like this (although I did turn Coca Cola’s offer of some work down not too long ago).

There’ll be more Mini WM 2006 on its way tomorrow. It’ll probably be only one player per team cos I’ve not got the time to do more than that; but there’ll be no replication of players I did in the Mini Euro 2000 and 2004 things. I am regretting not doing Mini World Cup 2002 now. That missing tournament bites into my perfectly ordered Virgo mind like a crocodile!

8 Jun 06 at 6:20 pm

5. You turned CC down?! Ok, then you’re officially an Artist. I’m impressed.

Elisabeth

9 Jun 06 at 9:54 am

6. There was a mini scandel at the Australian Open a few years ago because they changed the colour of the tennis ball to a slightly different yellow (a sort of lime glow yellow). The idea was to make the ball more visible on TV, but apparently it was harder for the players to see!!

10 Jun 06 at 3:36 pm