30 ballparks

One of the things I like about baseball is the shape of the playing areas; that each of the Major League stadiums has a different shaped field. Here’s a couple of drawings I did.

September 19th, 2006 at 2:27 pm

8 Responses to '30 ballparks'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to '30 ballparks'.

1. Interesting (if slightly weird)!

Where did you get those? Are they in some scale (all in the same)?
    And – if that is not too intrusive – why did you draw them? Just because you like the shapes? Is there a figurelegend somewhere – which field is where? And why are there no rules about building the fields? A home run would be easier in one arena than in another (right?) – charming, but somehow wrong…

Anyway – interesting idea…

Cheers

Alex

19 Sep 06 at 4:30 pm

2. 1. Google Earth research.
    2. Yep, they are all virtually the same scale (in the second drawing, you can see that the distance from pitcher’s mound to home plate is the same in each silhouette).
    3. I like things that look kinda the same but are different.
    4. Left to right, top to bottom: Los Angeles Angels, Houston Astros, Oakland Athletics, Toronto Blue Jays, Atlanta Braves; Milwaukee Brewers, St Louis Cardinals, Chicago Cubs, Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Arizona Diamondbacks; Los Angeles Dodgers, San Francisco Giants, Cleveland Indians, Seattle Mariners, Florida Marlins; Mew York Mets, Washington Nationals, Baltimore Orioles, San Diego Padres, Philadelphia Phillies; Pittsburgh Pirates, Texas Rangers, Cincinnati Reds, Colorado Rockies, Kansas City Royals; Boston Red Sox, Detroit Tigers, Minnesota Twins, Chicago White Sox, New York Yankees.
    5. Different sizes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball#The_uniqueness_of_each_baseball_park
    6. Yes, home runs would be easier in some stadiums. But they are easier for both teams.

19 Sep 06 at 4:44 pm

3. Thanks Craig! That was a solid 6 point answer (with link)! And a lot of work too for the list of ball parks) – google earth does provide interesting opportunities!

I’ve read the Wiki bit and started to wonder – could you build a ball park that could be modified between games to become more of a hitter’s or pitcher’s park, depending on what the home teams vs. the other teams strength are (movable fences, making fences higher etc.) – would there be a rule to stop you?

Cheers

Alex

19 Sep 06 at 5:37 pm

4. Ooh, the silhouette-y ones look a bit like faces.

19 Sep 06 at 8:51 pm

5. I really really like these for some reason, despite knowing actually nothing about baseball. Aesthetically pleasing on the eye maybe?

6. It looks like a sheep family tree!

22 Sep 06 at 10:55 am

7. These remind me a good bit of some Allan McCollum drawings, except that I like your baseball park drawings quite a bit more, as I have more reason to compare one to the other.

Marc Snyder

29 Sep 06 at 6:09 am

8. Oooh, I’ve never heard of him. I like his stuff. Thanks.

3 Oct 06 at 3:02 pm