On the beach

I’m feeling slightly more “up” about weblogging at the moment. So I thought I’d have a spring clean. New colours for the hyperlinks, and a new masthead. It’s goodbye to my grandfather George Robinson who’s been up there at the top for quite a while; and hello to a photo that he (or my grandmother) took. I have absolutely no idea where or when this photograph was taken. Late sixties/early seventies I’d imagine. There’s so many great things going on in that picture. Click here to see a bigger, fuller version. Note the guy on the right with the bald spot drying his bum (or testicles) in a jaunty manner. Makes me chuckle no end.

Update: I found another photo taken on the same day where I’m a baby in my grandmother’s arms, so the picture is from the summer of 1971.

March 25th, 2007 at 12:49 am

5 Responses to 'On the beach'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'On the beach'.

1. I love the kids making the sandcastle. And the fact most people are fully clothed because it’s England

Mark

25 Mar 07 at 11:27 am

2. There are fully clothed people in the middle of the beach!

This image is a treasure, could be part of Martin ParrĀ“s book about Britain…

Hugs…

Laura

26 Mar 07 at 5:18 pm

3. Holy shit is that a depressing beach scene! Nary a thong in sight!

For some reason it reminds me of passing through Heathrow as a small child. My Dad was reading a book about baseball at the time, simply calls “Balls.” The Heathrow security people came across the book in checking his handbag and literally passed it around the entire security staff, taking turns laughing and say “Balls!” in their English accents.

Changed my life. I’ve loved everything British ever since.

Carry on.

26 Mar 07 at 6:26 pm

4. A further update: I had an email from my mother who confirmed that it was 1971. Apparently my parents, my paternal grandparents, and I were on holiday in Ilfracombe or Woolacombe in Devon.

30 Mar 07 at 11:48 am

5. Oh, and, yes! I too would have laughed at the title of the book.

30 Mar 07 at 11:49 am