The World in Buenos Aires

Hola amigos. That’s Spanish. Impressive, huh? If you’ve been paying attention, you’ll have noticed that I’m in Buenos Aires. And one of the things I’ve noticed about this city – and several other cities I’ve visited – is that there are a lot of streets named after countries.

Buenos Aires, though, is the only city where I’ve bothered to buy an A-Z street guide map thingy (mainly cos it was dirt-cheap and a woman was stood on the street selling them). I was having a little think: how many countries have streets named after them in this city? Being a bit of a fan of graphic representations of information, I gone done made a mappy thing.

Click on the image for full size version

The darkest brown represents countries which have streets named after them. The lightest brown is for countries which don’t. The middle brown is for countries which need notes attached, which will follow the full stop at the end of this sentence.

• Falkland Islands: There’s, obviously, a street called Malvinas Argentinas. Equally obviously, there isn’t a street called Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s Mighty Great British Royal Bangers ‘n Mash Falklands Islands.
• São Tome & Príncipe: There’s a Santo Tomé but no y Príncipe.
• North and South Korea: There’s a Corea, but technically there’s no country called simply Korea.
• Czech Republic and Slovakia: There’s a Checoslovaquia.
• Yugoslavia: No such country any more, but there is a street called Yugoslavia. There are also streets called Croatia, Slovenia, and Montenegro. But I feel that it’d be slight unfair to punish Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Kosovo, and Macedonia because they are kinda represented with Yugoslavia.

C’mon, it’s interesting! Isn’t it? Hey! Come back!

April 22nd, 2008 at 1:20 pm

9 Responses to 'The World in Buenos Aires'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'The World in Buenos Aires'.

1. Hey hey hey!
    Craig, I’d like you to go to the Argentinian Streetname Service and demand an explanatian for not having a street named after The Netherlands.

Argentinian Máxima Zorreguieta married the heir to the Dutch throne for god’s sake…

Even a dead-end street would do.
    Thanks.

Väös

22 Apr 08 at 6:52 pm

2. And what about the ’78 world cup…

Bastards.

Väös

22 Apr 08 at 6:57 pm

3. What I wonder most about is, has there ever been a Reino Unido or Inglaterra? Or did they re-name streets during or after the Falklands War?

22 Apr 08 at 7:06 pm

4. Vaos! We have a beautiful park named after HOLANDA…So there, much, much better than a dirty street!

Craig: I can´t believe you really develped the map…you are amazing!

Laura

22 Apr 08 at 9:12 pm

5. This has nothing to do with countries (sorry, Craig) and I have never been in Buenos Aires myself, but I just read the shortest streets are called Mom and Ohm. Sweet.

Sabela

22 Apr 08 at 9:37 pm

6. you rarely fail to amaze the hell out of me…

Cheers

Alex

23 Apr 08 at 5:46 pm

7. My Sicilian grandparents lived in Messina, Sicily. All the streets in their little neck of the woods were named after South American countries. So while they lived in Via Ecuador just round the corner was Via Brasile, Venezuela, Peru and plenty more.

Stef

24 Apr 08 at 2:35 pm

8. From Argentina
    We have a street named “Londres” (London), but in time of Malvinas War, it was rebautized “Puerto Argentino” (Argentine Port).

28 Apr 08 at 11:32 pm

9. We have a lot of streets with city names also, like Madrid, Montevideo, Rio de Janeiro, Quito, Paris, Berlin, Roma, Praga, Amsterdam, Nueva York, Caracas, Atenas, Habana, etc, etc.
    In my neighbourhood there are streets named: Libertad, Igualdad, Fraternidad.
    Cheers