So, today’s chucklesome news is that the British National Party‘s (BNP) member list has been leaked onto the Internet. (Brief editorial audio interjection.) Worth a look, because you might as well check out if any of your neighbours are racists, huh?
From the Guardian, emphasis mine:
A BNP spokesman, Simon Darby, said: “If we find out the name of the person who published this list it will turn out to be one of the most foolish things they have done in their life.” Griffin insisted this did not represent a threat of violence but the reality that the person faced prison for breaching a high court injunction. The BNP leader admitted the party was relying on the Human Rights Act, based on EU legislation, which it opposes, to try to protect the privacy of its members.
Oh, the irony.
Best thing about it, though: the little notes next to some of the members’ names. Here’s some crackers. (Thanks to my friends John, Keith, Mark, and Steve; this stuff all came up during a five-sided email conversation. Just to be clear, none of us are member of the BNP.)
• Former racing driver (British champion 1958)
• City & Guilds Carpentry & Joinery
• Driving instructor (discount for BNP members)
• Horse racing tipster
• Business owner (antiquities). Pubic [sic] speaker. Has two suits of medieval 14th & 15th century armour and can joust for rallies
• Mobile DJ with singing partner, snakes & spiders
• Fluent French, German, Italian and Spanish
• Hobbies: criminal justice system, bowls
• Owner of a WW2 jeep
• Slaughterman (NVQS in slaughtering)
• Retired local government officer. Static caravan on East Coast
• CCTV systems controller
• Has a 16 seat minibus available for local use
• Senior citizen spends most of the year in Spain so chose to pay for overseas membership
• Media worker (Sky TV), background in PR/advertising. Pleased to offer advice
• Bar manager. Former accounts secretary (120 wpm shorthand). Personal alcohol licence holder. Karate instructor
• Badge stolen with jacket
• Hobbies: jive dancing, DIY
• Will not be renewing 07 (BNP is “doing nothing to help me”)
• Will not be renewing 07 (“Jehova God only real hope for mankind”)
• Manager: petrol filling station. Class 1 snooker referee
• Large barn available for use
• Membership suspended 20.9.05 (inappropriate tattoo). Suspension lifted 27.09.05
• Hobbies: walking, Tai Chi Chuan. Buddhist, interested in Daoism
• Distribution driver (Royal Mail). Active Odinist/member of Pagan organisations
• Member describes himself as a witch: potential embarrassment if active
• Will not be renewing 07 (objects to being told he shouldn’t wear a bomber jacket)
The temptation to annotate the above was immense, but I resisted. But, y’know, BNP members seem to be the same as the rest of us: except they’re racists.