Toe update

You may remember that I stubbed my toe back in August, and the nail was looking as though it might turn black. Well, it did. And it still is. Here, just in time to put you off your Sunday lunch, is a photo of how it looks now. I think I can feel a new nail growing underneath it, but I really never expected it to be taking so long. Anyone have any experience of this? When should I be expecting to have a normal toe nail again?

November 30th, 2008 at 1:29 pm

17 Responses to 'Toe update'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Toe update'.

1. it takes a while. i have 2 black toenails from when i started running again 6 months ago. i had this before, and if i remember correctly, the toenail may actually fall off before a new one grows back. good times!

steve

30 Nov 08 at 2:35 pm

2. …it will be OK, but could take years…(and I WAS eating Sunday lunch)…thanks. B.

~Barbara~

30 Nov 08 at 9:31 pm

3. yep. it took about a year for mine to go away and it wasn’t even a whole toenail. at least it’s rather lovely colors.

ren

1 Dec 08 at 2:10 am

4. If you have the nail removed at the base, it takes about 6 months for a new one to grow completely. That would also get rid of the black color, as that is just old dried blood (yuk). If the nail is dead, it shouldn’t really hurt much.

Rita

1 Dec 08 at 7:47 am

5. Oh God. The insanity. You did give a warning before presenting the picture. But I still had to see it, as I have experienced many a black toenail due to ill fitting running shoes, apparently.

I did lose the big toenail once in my 20s and it. Completely. Freaked. Me. Out.

But it did come back good as new and you’d never know it today.

As everyone else mentioned it takes a long, long time. At least a year I think. And the new nail will grow in under that nail and eventually the nail on top will sort of pry away revealing the new nail underneath.

I usually clipped that upper nail each time I saw it pulling away because I wanted the black, blood dried part to go away.

Yeah.

So good luck with all of that.

cardiogirl

1 Dec 08 at 8:07 pm

6. Did you know you have Morton’s Toe?

Dana Constance

1 Dec 08 at 8:52 pm

7. Thanks for all the info, people.
    Oh, Dana, I wish I didn’t know that; now I know I’m a freak! Hide me away from society!

1 Dec 08 at 9:01 pm

8. If it makes you feel better, I have a gap big enough for another toe between the big guy and #2.
    My dog refuses to walk with me in public.

dana constance

1 Dec 08 at 9:13 pm

9. It does make me feel better actually. You should be in a carnival sideshow!

1 Dec 08 at 9:36 pm

10. This is the thanks I get for sharing some medical information and then a shameful physical deformity? Sounds like something McCain & Palin would have done…

Sniff, sniff…

dana constance

1 Dec 08 at 10:14 pm

11. Only joking, petal. I think your toes are lovely.

1 Dec 08 at 10:37 pm

12. Doesn’t Morton’s toe mean you’ll be rich?
    Actually, come to think of it, that might just be something my mum told me so I didn’t feel quite as bad about my freaky feet…

Mark

2 Dec 08 at 2:08 am

13. Morton’s toe occurs in 1 out of 10 births. It shows higher intelligence. I should know, as I have it also. The Wisegeek’s info is not true for everyone. I am 61 years old and have never had a problem with my toes or feet. They are as lovely as ever.

Rita

2 Dec 08 at 10:03 am

14. Saw Mark’s first sentence: “Doesn’t Morton’s toe mean you’ll be rich?”

… but when I read it, I thought it said “Doesn’t Morton’s toe mean you’ll be a bitch?”

And I immediately thought, “Like in prison? Where one man is another man’s bitch?”

Then I realized I misread it.

cardiogirl

2 Dec 08 at 4:17 pm

15. I´ve had a couple of these from football. Takes 5 or 6 months, but it´s a fascinating process, and one magical day you will be able to gently pull off the old dead black nail and see the beautiful new one that has grown quietly beneath all those months. Ain’t life a beautiful thing?

28 Dec 08 at 7:28 am

16. i went to philippines for a vacation and saw that a lot of people there have a morton's toe :D

13 Dec 09 at 12:31 pm

17. Yeah, I’m glad I found you guys (albeit 4 years too late). Not only was I freaking out because my black toe wasn’t going away after 4 months, but checking other sites began to make me think I’d better see a doctor or I’d end up with bone diseases and possible amputation. Stupid internet. Then I found this and felt astoundingly more relieved – until I read the bit about Morton’s toe. Guess I’m a member of that 10% of the population – except that I’m neither rich nor impressively intelligent (I clumsily ended up with a black toe, after all). Cheers

Paul