Minipop No. 1,000

I realise it’s completely egotistical and self-aggrandising to feel that it’s somehow a special moment when I’ve done another little drawing of someone in pixels, but I wanted this personal landmark, this 1,000th Minipop, to be someone good. I didn’t want it to be just somebody that I liked. I didn’t, for example want to choose someone who plays sport for a team I like. I didn’t want to choose a musician. Or an actor. Or a politician.

It’s something I’ve been thinking about way too long, really. I’ve been thinking about it since around the 950th Minipop. No-one ever seemed perfect. Then on one of those afternoon-swallowing Wikipedia sessions, the kind where you start by looking up the population of Prague, and end up finding out about Argentina’s leading transvestite; on one of those afternoons I ended up on the Wikipedia page about a Canadian man who I’d never heard of before. Maybe it’s purely my ignorance that has kept me from learning about him until my thirty-ninth year. Maybe he’s just not that well-known outside of Canada. But from everything I’ve read about him, and the YouTube clips I’ve watched, he’s certainly one of the most well-known people in Canada.

So, the 1,000th Minipop is of Terry Fox.

I’ll summarise briefly: he lost one of his legs to cancer at the age of 18. With an artificial leg, and in an effort to raise money for cancer research, he set off on what he called the “Marathon of Hope,” aiming to run east to west across the whole of Canada. He set out to run about 42km (26-ish miles) a day. He went from St. John’s, Newfoundland to Thunder Bay, Ontario before being forced to stop when cancer spread to his right lung. He’d ran 5,373km (3,339 miles). He died at the age of 22 on 28th June, 1981.

Oddly, when I began thinking about someone for the 1,000th Minipop, I wanted someone worthy. Now I’ve done that, I don’t feel like my dumb pride at having drawn a thousand Minipops is worthy of being thought about at the same time as someone as inspiring as Terry Fox.

Here’s some links to more information:
The Terry Fox Foundation
Wikipedia page about Terry Fox
YouTube clip of ESPN story about Terry Fox

May 6th, 2009 at 12:20 am

9 Responses to 'Minipop No. 1,000'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Minipop No. 1,000'.

1. Great choice, Craig. What an inspiring story of a great man.

matt

6 May 09 at 12:45 pm

2. yep great choice, i’ve seen a tv movie based on terry.

Mike

6 May 09 at 12:50 pm

3. An excellent choice. As a Canadian, I really appreciate it.

The amazing thing is that he started something that still goes on today. The annual Terry Fox run raises millions of dollars each year in Canada for cancer research.

M@

6 May 09 at 1:30 pm

4. thank you – I did not know him, now I do, great choice.

L from Istanbul

6 May 09 at 2:01 pm

5. *sniff*

As your Canadian neighbour across the border (Vancouver, BC), I thank you for this.
    You could not have made a better choice.

6 May 09 at 6:31 pm

6. What a fantastic choice!

I don’t think it’s misguided to link your pride in your work with celebrating this inspiring person – your work has created an audience, and you pointed your audience in a great direction with this milestone.

Congratulations! Here’s to the next 1000!

Marc Snyder

7 May 09 at 3:51 pm

7. A perfect choice. I only knew about Terry because of Douglas Coupland’s great book about his story. And the fact that I love Canada.

Natalie

7 May 09 at 7:57 pm

8. Yes, great choice. I also know Terry Fox from Coupland’s book “Souvenir of Canada 2″ which a friend in Toronto give me as a gift when I visited him. On the back side of the book is a photo of Terrys rigth sock with a lot of holes. He wore it continuously on his prothesis the whole marathon.

9. [...] Fox Miracle Mile. Slight tangent: you may remember that Terry was the person I chose to do as the 1,000th Minipop last year. I won’t write any more, except to say, it’s a really nice little park with [...]