Greyhound in Pittsburgh

I was listening to “America” by Simon and Garfunkel last night, and as I sang along, I noticed that I’d done something, been somewhere mentioned in the song:

“Kathy,” I said, as we boarded a Greyhound in Pittsburgh, “Michigan seems like a dream to me now.”

I’ve boarded a Greyhound bus in Pittsburgh. I felt absurdly special at the moment I connected the song to my personal experience. Have you done anything in a place that’s in a song?

September 14th, 2009 at 7:01 pm

9 Responses to 'Greyhound in Pittsburgh'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Greyhound in Pittsburgh'.

1. Well, there's a Canadian folk-rock band called Spirit of the West that was popular on university campuses back when I was in school. They had a song called "Home for a Rest" about how they needed a rest after their vacations of drinking and carousing. I was in England for a month one summer, and my brother and I were making a tour of the pubs, and around our sixth stop of the evening, the following lines occurred to me:

We stayed in the bars along Charing Cross Road
    We never saw nothing but brass taps and oak
    Kept a shine on the bar with the sleeves of our coats

And yeah, it was pretty cool to think of the connection.

14 Sep 09 at 10:22 pm

2. I've counted the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike, does that count? Or does it have to be something other than the same song you picked?

14 Sep 09 at 10:49 pm

3. I have, on occasion, been on the pavement, thinking about the government.

Marc Snyder

15 Sep 09 at 3:19 pm

4. I fought authority.

Authority always won.

DAMN YOU, Mellencamp.

15 Sep 09 at 4:55 pm

5. I occasionally move through the room with a glass in my hand, thinking too hard about the way I stand…

15 Sep 09 at 7:17 pm

6. I've changed latitude in order to change my attitude…and I was quite aware that I was doing it~! Hooray~! (B)

16 Sep 09 at 12:54 am

7. I once made it with someone while carrying a picture of Chairman Mao

17 Sep 09 at 1:34 pm

8. I drank sangria in the park. And I had a letter from the Government the other day.

Simon John Parkin

21 Sep 09 at 2:16 pm

9. I love your flipflopflyball website.

When I was student at university I decided to leave my place of residence due to an unexpected long-term tenant. A song came on the radio while my soon to be ex-roommate was driving me, my stuff and my deposit which I had to wrestle away from 5 housemates, to my new house.

Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill and the lyric "grab your things, I'm here to take to you home" bought a well-timed smile to my face.

2 Oct 09 at 12:20 am