Greyhound in Pittsburgh

I was listening to “America” by Simon and Garfunkel last night, and as I sang along, I noticed that I’d done something, been somewhere mentioned in the song:

“Kathy,” I said, as we boarded a Greyhound in Pittsburgh, “Michigan seems like a dream to me now.”

I’ve boarded a Greyhound bus in Pittsburgh. I felt absurdly special at the moment I connected the song to my personal experience. Have you done anything in a place that’s in a song?

September 14th, 2009 at 7:01 pm

9 Responses to 'Greyhound in Pittsburgh'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Greyhound in Pittsburgh'.

1. Well, there's a Canadian folk-rock band called Spirit of the West that was popular on university campuses back when I was in school. They had a song called "Home for a Rest" about how they needed a rest after their vacations of drinking and carousing. I was in England for a month one summer, and my brother and I were making a tour of the pubs, and around our sixth stop of the evening, the following lines occurred to me:

We stayed in the bars along Charing Cross Road
    We never saw nothing but brass taps and oak
    Kept a shine on the bar with the sleeves of our coats

And yeah, it was pretty cool to think of the connection.

M@

14 Sep 09 at 10:22 pm

2. I've counted the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike, does that count? Or does it have to be something other than the same song you picked?

kostia

14 Sep 09 at 10:49 pm

3. I have, on occasion, been on the pavement, thinking about the government.

Marc Snyder

15 Sep 09 at 3:19 pm

4. I fought authority.

Authority always won.

DAMN YOU, Mellencamp.

J-Money

15 Sep 09 at 4:55 pm

5. I occasionally move through the room with a glass in my hand, thinking too hard about the way I stand…

longbird

15 Sep 09 at 7:17 pm

6. I've changed latitude in order to change my attitude…and I was quite aware that I was doing it~! Hooray~! (B)

~Barbara~

16 Sep 09 at 12:54 am

7. I once made it with someone while carrying a picture of Chairman Mao

Mark

17 Sep 09 at 1:34 pm

8. I drank sangria in the park. And I had a letter from the Government the other day.

Simon John Parkin

21 Sep 09 at 2:16 pm

9. I love your flipflopflyball website.

When I was student at university I decided to leave my place of residence due to an unexpected long-term tenant. A song came on the radio while my soon to be ex-roommate was driving me, my stuff and my deposit which I had to wrestle away from 5 housemates, to my new house.

Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill and the lyric "grab your things, I'm here to take to you home" bought a well-timed smile to my face.

Gary