Dork

I lost my camera yesterday. Either on the train to Lincoln, in Caffè Nero on Lincoln’s High St., or on the bus to me mum’s house. It must’ve slipped out of my pocket. Of course, there’s someone who now owns a Panasonic Lumix with a bunch of my photos on it. Thankfully, I transferred them all to my computer before getting the train, but I’d not deleted them, so someone will be enjoying a lot of photographs of the NFL game at Wembley Stadium and of my mate’s kids. They’ll also be enjoying a photo of me being a dork. So taking my cue from David Letterman, I’m going for the preemptive posting of an embarrassing photograph. I can explain all I want that it suddenly occurred to me that I had all the elements to dress up like this, and, y’know, it might be fun to pretend for a moment, but it doesn’t take away from the teenage idiocy of actually putting on the cap, jersey, pants and cleats, then prancing around in my apartment in the clothes and taking a photo of myself all dressed up like a proper New York Yankee. That’s right: I’m 39 years old.

October 27th, 2009 at 12:19 pm

10 Responses to 'Dork'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Dork'.

1. Shame about the camera, but awesome picture! A good trick is to create a file or just take a picture of a piece of paper with your name, phone number, and grovelling note to return it. Worth a shot for next time?

Nicola

27 Oct 09 at 11:34 pm

2. Dude,
    Steinbrenner would NEVER put up with the beard.

I am biting my lip a bit right now…

Dana C Constance

28 Oct 09 at 8:05 am

3. Nicola: good idea!

Dana: to shave my beard off for the photo would be a step too far, huh?

28 Oct 09 at 10:20 am

4. It could've been worse. . . full pitching stance, diving for the catch. . . or are those the ones you aren't showing us?

Great picture!

Marc Snyder

28 Oct 09 at 12:18 pm

5. I have a horrible feeling there's some kind of sub-section of the populace that might find that full outfit some kind of fetish.
    Not me, promise.
    I'm off to Chicago on Friday. Sorry to have missed you while you are over in silly UK (Andy is around but I suspect you'll be leaving in a day or two). So hope to catch you next time. We're around tomorrow (Thursday) should you be at a loose end. Cheers – I.

Ian Mac

29 Oct 09 at 1:54 am

6. Craig,
    Get your Photoshop mojo out, clone out your beard (optional) and replace your apartment with a shot of the pitcher's mound from the new Yankee Stadium. Now that would be sweet and super dorky all at the same time!

Dana C Constance

29 Oct 09 at 7:15 pm

7. Oh, please tell us you have the home unis as well. Pinstripes are slimming…

Dana C Constance

29 Oct 09 at 7:17 pm

8. Mark: I did the stance, but not for the camera. I was doing that in the mirror.

Ian: One can hope… Have fun in Chicago. I might be over in December, so I'll email you.

Dana: I think that sounds like something I should've done already. Sadly, I don't own the pinstripes version.

29 Oct 09 at 7:23 pm

9. is that a yoga mat on your floor?

yuko

30 Oct 09 at 10:09 pm

10. It is, but it never gets used for anything like yoga.

1 Nov 09 at 1:30 pm